More Emphasis On What Matters.
We started this firm with a very defined goal: to achieve the best possible outcome for you, our clients. That means pinpoint focus on your business goals and a dedication to going on the journey with you.
Our first step is to provide you with detailed advice to allow you to understand your environment and plot your path to success. We provide direct, concise and commercial advice that is easily understood and to the point. Our specialist industry understanding, years of experience and innovative problem-solving approach provides us with the capacity to offer highly tailored solutions that meet your requirements. We focus on the things we do best and we help you to do the same.
The next step is to establish cost certainty for your business in these challenging market conditions. GrilloHiggins achieves this by placing greater emphasis on value pricing and risk sharing arrangements rather than traditional time-based billing.
Finally, we see our solutions through to completion. We take pride in seeing your goals achieved. If obstacles arise, we are prepared with solutions to ensure that you get to where you want to go. We also provide you with the updates, support and information that matter to you.
In the words of our founding partners, Alfonso Grillo and Garrick Higgins:
Feedback from our existing network has been overwhelmingly positive about our business model. Clients are becoming increasingly sophisticated in the manner in which they engage legal services. They expect cost certainty, ease of access to key legal decision makers, a commercial approach to advice and in many cases a willingness for their lawyers to share risk and have some skin in the game. The traditional law firm structure and cost of overheads limits most firms from being able to work within this model which can end up at the expense of their clients.
We recognised that fundamental changes were occurring in the legal industry and this together with ever increasing expectations of clients provided us with a unique opportunity to start a firm with a blank canvas that could be designed to adapt to clients and their needs.
Our founding partners are joined by an experienced and capable team including Senior Associate, Tony Petani. This team works closely, collaboratively and communicatively to ensure that every aspect of your work is dealt with professionally and cost-effectively.
As a client of this boutique firm you will benefit from a team that is as invested in your business as you are.
Phone: (03) 8621 8881
Click to email Alfonso
- Equity Capital Markets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Structuring
- Corporate Governance
- Intellectual Property
- Energy & Resources
- Due Diligence Assessments
Alfonso Grillo has had extensive experience in various aspects of commercial law. Alfonso was also selected for inclusion in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2009/10, 2010/11, 2012/13 and 2013/2014) for Corporate/M&A and has been mentioned for his M&A expertise in the 2014 IFLR1000 Guide for financial and corporate firms.
Alfonso is an avid Hawthorn supporter who enjoys running and keeping fit. Alfonso has also completed various trail runs and marathons.
Alfonso is currently Company Secretary of ASX listed mining company, Nagambie Mining Limited
- Heemskirk Consolidated Limited – advised in relation to July 2015 Renounceable Rights Issue.
- Hansen Technologies Limited – advised ASX listed Hansen in relation to its May 2015 $27 million capital raising.
- Mint Payments Limited – advised in relation to July 2015 $5 million private placement and share purchase plan.
- OMI Holdings Limited – advised ASX listed OMI Holdings Limited on its $12 million scrip acquisition of iSentric Sdn Bhd and re-compliance listing in October 2014.
- S2Net Limited – advised on the $20 million sale of its Fastwire business division to Chinese telco giant, Huawei.
- Somerton Energy Limited/Cooper Energy Limited – advised in relation to the merger of oil and gas companies via a recommended off-market takeover bid under which Cooper acquired all of the shares in Somerton under a scrip and cash offer valuing Somerton at $31.5 million.
- Montec International Limited – advised ASX food and beverage company on its acquisition of shares in Tasmanian whisky distiller, Lark Distillery Pty Ltd, its 2014 convertible note raising and rights issue.
- World Reach Limited – advised ASX listed communications company on its 2014 rights issue and convertible note redemption.
Phone: (03) 8621 8880
Click to email Garrick
- Equity Capital Markets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital raising
- Project finance
- Energy & Resources
- Joint ventures and structuring
- Corporate governance
Garrick Higgins practices in corporate and securities law. He also has an extensive general corporate practice having been a commercial lawyer for more than 30 years. Garrick was also selected for inclusion in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2009/10 and 2010/11) for Energy and Resources and (2012/13) for Corporate M/A.
Garrick’s interests include watching dancing and show jumping competitions, travel, sailing and sport generally.
Garrick currently holds a number of Board positions, these include:
- Chairman, Kidman Resources Limited
- Chairman, In-tellinc Pty Ltd
- Director, Powerwrap Limited
- Director, Escala Partners Limited
- Director, Crowl Creek Exploration Limited
- Heemskirk Consolidated Limited – advised Heemskirk in respect to its recent Right Issue and the completion of its 2015 $40million Secured Financing Facility with Taurus Funds Management in relation to the Moberley Silica Sand Project in British Columbia Canada.
- Laguna Gold Limited – advised Laguna Gold in respect to its Earn-In and Joint Venture arrangements with Nyrstar in respect to the Condor and Katterfeld projects in Chile.
- Heemskirk Consolidated Limited – advised Heemskirk in relation to the $12 million sale of its mineral products processing plant in Alberta Canada to Marquis Alliance Energy Group Limited.
- Kidman Mining Limited – advised Kidman Mining in respect to its acquisition of the Burbanks Gold Project in Western Australia in April 2015.
Phone: (03) 8621 8882
Click to email Tony
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate structuring including for medical organisations
- General commercial advice
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Intellectual property licencing and enforcement
- Trade Marks
Tony advises on a range of matters relating to corporate and commercial law and intellectual property law. Whilst Tony has broad commercial understanding, he has particularly assisted clients in the fields of Information and Communication Technology, Media and Entertainment, Health and Finance.
Tony is a movie buff and loves a good trivia night. He enjoys running and playing indoor soccer and is a proud and passionate support of the Liverpool Football Club and the West Coast Eagles.
Tony is currently a director of the Australian Film Institute and Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AFI/AACTA)
- S2Net Limited – advised in relation to the sale of S2Net’s OSS division to Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei, and the sale of their Open CA business to Symbio Networks Pty Ltd.
- Mint Payments Limited – advised an Australian public company on a private placement to institutional investors and a subsequent share purchase plan. Tony has also advised Mint Payments in relation to its licensing and sales program for its products
- Montec International Limited – advised in relation to its 2014 Rights Issue and convertible note redemption
- Hansen Technologies Limited – advised client in relation to negotiation of finance facility. Tony also advised on the the acquisition of Hansen’s Utilisoft business.
Phone: (03) 8621 8888
Click to email Paul
- Equity capital markets transactions including IPOs, full and short-form prospectus issues, transaction-specific prospectus issues, offer information statements, rights issues (by prospectus issue and by cleansing notice), and exempt offers to sophisticated and professional investors;
- Debt capital markets transactions including issuances of unsecured notes, convertible notes and convertible preference shares;
- Mergers & Acquisitions;
- Corporate governance & Compliance; and
- Regulated Financial Services & Compliance.
Paul advises on a range of matters relating to corporate and commercial law, with a specific focus on regulation and compliance. Paul has considerable regulatory experience in the corporate finance space, including the review of takeovers, schemes of arrangement, IPOs, secondary capital raisings, traditional and non-traditional rights issues, note issues, and bank hybrid issues. Paul also has significant compliance experience within the regulated financial services space, the consumer credit space, and corporate governance and directors’ duties.
Paul has a passion for philosophy and enjoys learning about physics and astronomy in his spare time. Paul’s pastimes include socialising with friends, the occasional round of golf and following the New England Patriots in the American Football.
Notable highlights in Paul’s regulatory experience have included the review and ongoing monitoring of large scale bank hybrid issues, a $1.6 billion hostile takeover of an ASX listed entity and a PAITREO style accelerated rights issue to raise over $1 billion.
Jessica Van de Leur
Phone: (03) 8621 8888
Currently on Maternity Leave
Click to email Jessica
- Legal Practice Management
- General Corporate & Commercial
- Regulatory Review & Compliance
- Civil Litigation
- Medical & Professional Indemnity
Jessica Van de Leur’s experience extends from large government organisations through to boutique corporate law firms. She previously specialised in civil and personal injury/medical litigation with the Transport Accident Commission, WorkCover Australia and the Australian Health Practitioner’s Regulation Agency. Jessica most recently provided support for entrepreneurial corporate clients and large international companies around regulatory compliance with organisations such as the Victorian Commission for Gaming and Liquor Regulation following company mergers and restructures.
Jessica is a dedicated Essendon supporter and spends much of her free time enjoying water sports at the beach and photographing surfers and landscapes. Having never been to the snow, she recently completed a demanding trek to Mt Everest base camp.
- Suzo Happ Pty Ltd – provided international regulatory compliance project management across several jurisdictions following a company acquisition.
- Practice Management – subject matter expert regarding large internal process and system developments focussed on client service delivery.
- Government – head of internal steering committee for staff welfare and key facilitator of litigation pilot project with the County Court regarding common law protocols.